Saturday, January 13, 2018

And So The Publishing Process Begins

For years, I've run the Yoshi Training Diary which is what I've called the longest running, most boring dog blog on the internet and no one has disputed that claim. My obsession with keeping my reactive, "OMG what's that?" Corgi sane, not only has taught me a lot about dog training, but has had me rubbing elbows with some of the brightest minds in dog behavior and communication.

As a writer, it also showed me that while there is a lot of nonfiction writing about solving dog problem after problem, there is a genuine lack in fiction involving dogs save for clever mysteries that actually feature excessively bright cats.

So, I decided to write my own and I'm happy to say that the "Amy and Lars" stories will be coming soon to the broader world beyond kind friends who were nice enough to read pre-release manuscripts.

This blog will be about the many road blocks to getting published and while other bloggers have made mention of this (one of them being the Wait But Why writer), I'm not sure people fully understand how much background research a writer needs to do to realistically tell even a fictional story.

That's where this blog comes in. All the weird stuff I had to learn just to write a chapter, or even make an effective allusion to something. There will be plenty about dog communication styles, but also how human infants learn and their language skills. Fair enough, but what could a blog be without learning about container truck numbering systems or research on our waterways or the hazards of gun mis-handling or who the heck really needs commas? or does a writer really need a "platform" anyway?

It's also about all the crazy internal questioning that one encounters during this process.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment