Friday, January 11, 2019

Copy Editing

I am very fortunate that I have a copy-editor as a friend. I insist that she charge me fairly, but it's very handy that I can have her just look at sections when I need it. Usually when you hire a copy-editor you "hand" then the text and they go through the whole thing. I don't even know how to do that.

I work in Google Docs which is great for collaborative work. Once I finished the first draft I had her start working on it. I a terrible about commas, so she spent a lot of time adding them in and flagging certain sections that we should talk about.

This went on for days and days which is normal and we had many conversations about certain sections. Some of the problem sections I chose to leave because I liked them and honestly didn't know how to deal with them. (I later did deal with them.)

Weeks of back and for and back again. It was a perfect way to work and I can't fathom making it work in one go. If I had to do it that way they a lot of the text would not be as good.

After a lot of tweaking, conversations, and lunches, it was finally ready to go to the proofreader.

No comments:

Post a Comment