Monday, March 11, 2019

Sales Team Tweaking of Comparables and Description

The publisher's sales team heard me about not wanting my book classed as a mystery.

To that end they and my editor have come up with an alternative set of books for them to use as sales comparables. Again a sales comparable is something vaguely close to the book but is not a bestseller. Given I find this exercise really difficult I am deeply grateful for any input about it. They give me a list of four and say choose three. I don't remember how I made the choice, but it was not a difficult one. After some debate with my editor, we decide that having one mystery on the list is ok. 

Then they come up with: "The sales team wants us to emphasize the sci-fi aspect of the book in the description. I’ve reviewed it and made adjustments that I think emphasize the sci-fi aspect and also heighten the stakes so people will be able to tell it’s a thriller rather than a mystery. "

I am excited to see that they actually care about the differences and want to push them. 
One thing that I'm not that good about is to make something intriguing you have to give some information away. What the sales team has come with does give away more information, and I ask my editor's opinion if it's too much of a giveaway. She then goes and spends time talking with her boss, and after some debate, they decide that it doesn't give too much away. Ok, works for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment